Saturday, June 21, 2008

Update on Dave

Today was by far the hardest day. Dave woke up very out of it. I guess it all just hit him at once today. He's been so up and down. The pain medicine is causing some itching, which makes him very uncomfortable. It's hard to sit and watch him do nothing. Dave is the type of person that when he sees something that needs to be done, he does it. He isn't able to bath or eat or do anything that he uses his hands for. Which when you think about it, we use our hands for pretty much everything. I really took advantage as to how much Dave really does around the house. I am so thankful that my mom and sister are here visiting. They have been helping with the kids, while I take care of Dave. Ugh, today was a tough day for me as well. It may sound silly.... but the yard needed to be mowed today and I was the one for the job! I hate yard work, even more after today. But as I dealt with a very stubborn lawn mower, I found myself sitting on the sidewalk with tears streaming down my face. It was the first time that I really broke down. I mean, I almost lost my partner! I can't get that image out of my head! I am so grateful that I am able to wake up every morning and see his face. Dave and I have talked quite a bit about how much this has changed our outlook on life. We will never be the same!
I had taken pictures of his hands, I know, you are probably thinking Why? Well for one we had to document them for the reports for the company he works for. And two, Dave wanted to see the progression. I had them ready to load, but camera was acting weird. So, I will save them for next time. They are not pretty to look at, but they are getting better than what they were. He has an appointment on Wednesday. I pray that the cleaning we have been doing is healing them nicely, and that permanent damage or scarring will be minimal. We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. Thanks to Granny and Aunt Bibby for pitching in and helping! Thanks to Grammy for watching the kids and running some errands. Thanks to Papaw Chet for fixing the ever so frustrating lawn mower! Thanks to Paul and Jeremy for stopping by and bringing us lunch. Thanks to my friend Trudy for cooking an amazing meal! We appreciate all the phone calls and emails! We are truly blessed!

4 comments:

Trudy said...

Hi Allie:
I love you and I continue to pray for you everyday and the healing of Dave's hands and your hearts. I know when my in laws thought that cancer may take one of them they will never be the same either. They talked about things they would have never possible shared when they realized they might not have each other. It was cleansing for them and made their marriage much stronger and now that my momala does not have cancer they get to enjoy this next chapter in their lives together. It reminded me of that when you said you will never be the same. That can be good for sure.
Let me know when is a god time and I will come by and pick up the basket and dishes. When you texted the other morning about an urgent care place, that was Bre that texted you back. I was asleep. I hope all went well there that day.
Talk soon,
T

Sam, Shannon and Fam said...

We're praying for you guys. Really glad to hear that he's doing well. Keep us updated. We miss you guys. Love, Sam and Shannon

Hilary said...

We are continuing to pray and think about you!

Lauren said...

Still praying for you all. Glad your mom and Lib are there to help out!